Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

This is why we need to get rid of the guns: 6 Dead, 15 Wounded in Labor Day Weekend Violence

edited November 2015 in Gun Control Debates Posts: 11

According to NBC Chicago:

At least six people were killed and 15 others wounded in gun violence across Chicago Labor Day weekend.

Among them was a teen who was shot Monday morning along a Chicago Public Schools Safe Passage Route.  The 19-year-old man was shot around 10 a.m. in the 1500 block of South Tripp Avenue, on the same block as Charles Evans Hughes Elementary School, police said. He was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg and listed in stable condition.

Police said the victim has known gang affiliations.

The Chicago Public School's Safe Passage routes are designed to provide students a designated, protected path as they travel to and from school. Routes were not staffed Monday because students were out for the Labor Day holiday.

Early Saturday morning, one man was killed and two others were injured in a violent attack in Chicago’s Bridgeport neighborhood.  The shooting took place around 2:30 a.m. in the 3800 block of South Halsted Street where police found a 21-year-old man dead in an apartment building, police said.

Another man, 21, was found shot in the head and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli.

A third man, 25, was found with gunshot wounds to the head and leg after his vehicle crashed into a light pole near 43rd Street and Wentworth Avenue, Mirabelli said.  Mirabelli said no other details were available on the shooting and it was not clear if the 25-year-old man was fleeing the scene.

Less than an hour later, a 19-year-old man was shot in the Pilsen neighborhood in the 1000 block of W. 20th Street.

Police said a light-colored SUV drove by and fired shots at the teen, striking him in the left leg. He was transported to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.

Thanked by 1bob_moderator

Comments

Did any of those who were shot have a gun?
    Brittons_mom
  • We need to look at places like Montana, then Chicago.

Can you see how much more strict gun laws are in Chicago?

The Death rate is because every criminal has a gun, and the good guys don't, be cause the good guys follow the law, bad guys don't. This is not kindergarten. Congress needs to keep their mind right. In Montana, good guys can defend their selves and their family.

Thanked by 1bob_moderator
  • Outlawing guns will not stop people from having them.  There will always be someone to supply what is illegal.  Look at drugs and Prohibition.  Making something illegal will just increase the demand for those who won't be as careful with whom they sell the guns.  I think that more stringent laws in place is better than outlawing them completely. 
  • I'm curious if this is reflects an increase, or reduction in the shooting rates over time. It would seem to me that we're still trending downward from the rates that were present twenty or thirty years ago.
  • Should we get rid of knives, hands, ropes too? Look up false flags and realize all this gun control propaganda is just that, propaganda. Look at how guns have been taken away in the past and then see the result of what happened to the people in that country that they were taken away from. You can't allow yourself to be brainwashed into believing that trampling over our constitutional rights is a good thing.
  • Guns are not the problem. It is the person who is shooting the gun that is the problem. People kill with knives too. Should we get rid of all of the knives? People kill with rope. Should we get rid of all of the rope? We need to deal with the person doing the crime, not the weapon that they used to do it.
    Every time I read something like this it just tells me how a person should have the right to protect themself's because there is not enough police protection to do it.I don't actually mean more guns either,just be allowed to carry the legal ones we already have to protect ourself's against all the illegal guns the criminals have.The criminals will be less likely to go after someone else that is carrying a gun also they don't like even odds.I know some others will think I am just a another gun nut,but actually I am a sane rational well adjusted guy that believes in self defense.I believe I have the right to live and survive as much as the next sane person.
  • If it helps, rbower80, I don't think you are a "gun nut".  From the posts of yours that I have read, you seem very rational.  I get nervous with some people having guns, but you seem like a very intelligent person.   A gun seems like it would be very underused in your hands.  I don't mean that in a negative way.  I mean that you seem like someone who wouldn't use you gun unless it was absolutely necessary.  Or for target practice. 
    The right to keep and bear arms is a basic human right that predates governments and constitutions.  If you wish to give up the right...that is your right and I am sure there are a great many countries out there with laws that will oblige you...but in this country, you do not have the right to take away or infringe upon the basic human rights of others just because you are willing to give yours away.  
    First of all Thank you Tommigun I appreciate that.I also agree with Chimo it is our right to protect our self's and we don't try to force the ones that don't want to protect them self's to go buy a gun and do it.I think we deserve the same considerations from them not to try and tell us we can't.The crime rate we have in this Country  today and I don't mean just gun crime our concerns are real to need protection.On the other hand their fear of them getting shot by me or some other legal gun owner is not a very real fear.Now by a illegal gun owner,well that's why we need protection.
    TommiGunn31
  • This is a tragedy. Any event where people lose their lives needlessly is a tragedy. I am praying for those involved and those who were murdered. May there souls find peace.
    On another note, taking away guns isn't going to stop tragedies from happening. The only thing that is going to do that is more work with mental health, more support within communities and more things to help people living in poverty and dangerous conditions find employment and housing.
  • So because of criminals we "get rid of guns" If any of those people shot had been armed maybe at least one violent offender could have been taken off the streets. I say again and again gun bans are not the answer bc itwill only affect responsible gun owners that are not out killing people.
    This stuff always get twisted around to try and show how we nee to get rid of the legal guns and there owners,like we are the ones out doing this.I am tired of being grouped with the criminals and the illegal gun owners,and blamed for these things happening and trying to punished for it, like I did something wrong.I am proud of my clean record and will not allow it to be blemished by this ridiculous games they play.I am also proud to be a American and tired of them trying to change our freedoms and rights instead of improving on the real problems.
     I'm sick of it too! If the right to bear arms, as granted by the second amendment isn't enough to convince the gun-grabbers, I don't know what else we can do! I saw a post somewhere that said something to the effect of, If we're not supposed to blame all Muslims for ISIS, how come the NRA get blamed for all the crazy shooters? Double standard maybe, or something more insidious?
    How many people were killed by automobiles, knives and other items in the same time frame?   In some cases, more...yet I don't hear a peep about getting rid of any of those items.  

FYI @jbbarn, the second amendment does not "grant" any rights...it only guarantees an inherent human right that predates governments and constitutions. 
    jbbarn
     LOL I know Chimo. I'm not brainwashed, I just misspoke. Inalienable is the word.
    I figured, but just wanted to make it clear to the hoplophobes. 
  • Many of those deaths in Chicago are drug related or gang related murders, so the antigun clack insists that is readon to ban guns !
    The way anti gun people spin stories, the uninformed unarmed public would start to think the people doing the shooting are concealed permit holders.

So criminals kill each other, lets ban guns !
    These gun incidents pale in significance to most people until a major incident affecting or involving them occurs. The problem is that people consign them to be mere statistics or randomly occurring events and postulate that in the absence of guns, offenders would turn to other weapons or go to the black market. The fact remains that over time, these statistics add up to make guns a weapon of mass destruction. I think a common grounding should be guns without bullets or a few at a time based on ones record and proclivities.
  • guyguy
    These are not valid reasons to get rid of guns. If a man breaks into your home prepared to kill anyone there and take all the valuable stuff, and you knew that if you had a gun you would shoot them in the face to protect your 4 month old and yourself, you still want guns to be banned?