Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

If more firearms equals more crime and violence...

edited October 2015 in Gun Control Debates Posts: 49
...why aren't gun shows a cesspool of crime and murders? 

Comments

I see nothing wrong with gun shows,I have got some of my guns from there and any hand gun purchased there you can't take with you,it has to be taken with some one that has a valid FFL card or sent to one in your state and you get ti from them than after a back ground check in IL. anyway.The big problem is street guns and Straw guns this is what we have to stop not legal gun buyers.I say this all the time in hopes of someday being understood.People's concern over the wrong guns are distracting them from the ones at hand and away from the type of people they need to be concerned about.We need to disarm the bad guys,not the ones that are just protecting them self's or hunters,and target shooters.
    Look, it has always been legal for private parties to buy/sell/trade their firearms.  It wasn't until the GCA of 1968 that we required people "in the business" of selling firearms to get a federal license to do so, and it wasn't until 86 and beyond that we started requiring dealers to run background checks.  Funny thing...at least according to all the people screaming for more laws and more background checks...gun violence has increased, not decreased, since these laws were enacted. 

I buy, sell and trade my firearms at gun shows all the time...no background checks, FFLs and other nonsense required, though I do check to ensure they live in my state to comply with the law...and if I don't feel good about the person wanting to buy, I don't sell to them.  Using the current incorrect hype, I am some kind of illegal gun runner...which is pure and utter horsepucky both legally and logically. 
  • Great point. It's because they are for law abiding citizens that love their rights.

• This is what I keep saying though. The people who are buying guns legally are the people that are law abiding citizens. The others may not be getting their guns from the most legal sources. Therefore all of this work for stronger gun control may not solve the problem. I m for stronger background checks, but it just won't help for the people that don't get their guns legally.
  • I don't think that violence has increased because of gun laws or background checks.  I think it's because we have more people now than we did.  More people raises the percentage of people who want to commit crimes.  What are Straw guns? I have never heard that term before.   
  • The exact term is a strawman purchase, a felon has another person with a clean background purchase 1 or more guns, uses those guns in criminal activities or takes those guns to sell in another State with very restrictive gun laws, in order to make money, Sometimes those guns are smuggled into other Countries like Mexico.
    There are alot of double standards in application of laws and protocols in different areas of the legal discourse. For example, cigarette companies are required by law to show graphic images of the effects of cigarette smoke complete with written warnings yet death from the same takes a substantial period of time. But when it comes to guns, the devastating issue of gun crime is relegated to the back burner.
    There are alot of double standards in application of laws and protocols in different areas of the legal discourse. For example, cigarette companies are required by law to show graphic images of the effects of cigarette smoke complete with written warnings yet death from the same takes a substantial period of time. But when it comes to guns, the devastating issue of gun crime is relegated to the back burner. Or what do you think?
    Well I will not really offer my opinion here, and to be honest I am still not really sure what I think on the whole issue.  That said, though, I heard an interesting article today on the radio.  It said that we should treat gun violence as a disease, or a medical condition, and try to cure it.  The argument was that like a bacteria, the more you are around it the more susceptible you are to it.  It makes sense when you think about, but I just thought that it was an interesting take on the issue.  Thanks for sharing.