Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

How much blame should be put on Society for the violence we have today,who agrees or disagrees

edited October 2015 in Gun Control Debates Posts: 234
I believe society as a whole is mostly to blame for the violence we have today from top to bottom,and yes that includes me.We have all let society go awry.I remember when I was a kid we had guns to hunt with and target shoot,or protect against a wild animal with,we never even thought we would ever have to protect ourselves from another american in our daily lives.When we were bad we got disciplined and we knew why,and we respected our parents and elders that's just the way it was.Know today kids get pampered and spoiled and heaven forbid you disciplined them and you go to jail or lose your kids.We have created out of control kids with no respect to anything or anybody.Then now it can't be understood why each generation get worse.Society doesn't seem to be able to know the difference between discipline and abuse and there is you know.I sure never thought my discipline as a kid was ever abuse,I knew and understood it was for my own good to learn the difference between right and wrong and I respected my mother for that she cared enough to teach me those life skills.My mother raised 5 kids basically on her own sense I was 4 years old anyway and none of us grew up to be killers.I think society has made excuse after excuse for what has happened for they don't have to take any of the blame themselves.I include the government in that society,and we still keep doing it with all the false claims and blame like the anti's are doing.

Comments

• I agree, especially about the difference between punishment and abuse.  I was only slapped once by my mother.  However, even though she didn't spank, she did still punish.  We had a time-out chair.  We had to sit in it for no less than 10 minutes.  If we got up after 9 minutes and 58 seconds, our time started again.  This taught us discipline.  We also had to think of not only what we did wrong, but WHY is was wrong.  I liked that.  Not at the time, of course, but as I grew older, I understood.  Now I think about the consequences of my actions.  Not just punishment, but also how it affects other people.  I'm not anti-spanking.  If you do something to deserve it, then you should get spanked.  But I think spanking should be a last resort.
  • I absolutely agree. We have become too lazy on the way we have raised our children. Once upon a time it was a whole village that raised the child. If you messed up in school the whole neighborhood had the right to beat your behind on the way home, and then when you got home you had to deal with your parents too. They made this illegal now because some people chose to abuse the kids, and over did it. Then because parents didn't know what else to do with their children, they wound up not having any discipline at all. Then those children grew up to have children with no discipline. Now there's no discipline at all. 
  • Society "the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community" is a result of all of our actions whether related to gun control or not. I agree that parents and the extended family unit as a whole plays an active role in what is happening in our schools and on our streets. I think if we started within our own family with sit-down dinners for conversation rather than rushing to the next "greatest" thing we may see how we can teach our children to appreciate the right to bare arms and all of the other rights that we are afforded by living in an orderly society. Making time to raise our own the way we want them to raise theirs' is very important.  
  • I think the liberal raising of children started the ball rolling, parents wanting to be freinds with their children, thereby breaking down the barrier of respect between parent & child, As it is in Military service, a superior Officer is not your freind, you obey, fear and respect, a superior Officer, you may even like them, but there is a barrier in place in order to preserve discipline and order in the ranks.

If a child is on a first name bassis with the parents, all respect is lost ! same thing with figures of authority, Clergy, Police, Teachers, etc.... if children lose respect for people in authority, then children and the adults they grow into will run rough shod over the law.

Children emulate their parents attitudes, so if parents are scofflaws, and drug addicts, and law breakers and other gosh awfulness, the children are sure to follow that poor example.
    Matters are made worse by the fact that violence is being glorified with Hollywood films cultivating heroes out of villains and a macho culture of invincibility as long as one owns a gun. There is also the complement of society that watches the goings on from the sidelines in silent disapproval hoping that it is a problem of others. It takes people of goodwill and conviction to keep silent for evil to prevail.
  • guyguy
    I don't blame society, I blame the government, well yeah I blame society to a certain extent because they can do something about it seeing as how we own the government. 

We can make them do what we want if we come together as a nation and make them create laws that are in our favor, but we don't so society will continue to act the way it wants to. The government could have better regulations for the people and guns, but they choose not to. This is not a true democracy.
    Well you cannot sit there and take anyone seriously who says that it has no effect on the violence that we see, but at the same time you would like to think that people are able to compartmentalize these things and keep them separate in their minds.  So then I guess the question is just how much blame to give, and then what to do about.  Both difficult questions, but interesting to think about.