Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

Background Check Fees

edited October 2015 in Gun Control Debates Posts: 246
I don't own a gun.  I like them, I just don't see a use in my life for one.  So, therefore, I have never bought a gun.  I just found out that people are charged fees for the background checks.  That's ridiculous.  You are already being charged for the gun, which I understand because there is a cost to make them.  But on top of that, you are being charged to be checked out by the person selling you the gun.  I don't think that's right.  It's in the Constitution that people are allowed to own guns.  You should not be charged to exercise your Constitutional right. I don't think that they should charge for background checks for anything.  My fiancé also told me that in California, you have to have a background check every time you buy ammo (in case something pops up on your background check after you have been cleared to purchase a gun).  Okay, that makes sense.  But to have to pay for a background check EVERY TIME  you buy ammo, I can't get behind that. 

Comments

• I believe that gun store owners have to pay for the background check therefore they pass the fee on to the consumer. It's state and federal laws regarding background checks that need to be realigned before the fee for service issue can be resolved. In this state I had to have an FBI background check done to provide healthcare aide services to my uncle. I had to pay for that before the agency that allotted him so many hours per week of paid help would pay me the $9.00 an hour. It's a racket in the guise of making it safer to have an aide just like a background check to purchase ammo is a racket in the guise of making it safer to be amongst gun owners. The background check doesn't say if they can shoot, it just says they haven't been caught breaking the law. 
  • Background checks aren't free no matter what you are doing them for. Why should a store owner pay for something that you want? It's not mandatory to get  gun just because you have the right to bare arms, which by the way does not automatically mean guns either. I like guns. I think they are a way to defend yourself and a weapon of choice when hunting, but do I think that we shouldn't have to pay for the background check that is mandatory for us to purchase a gun? That would be wrong.
  • I wasn't saying the store owner should have the burden, nor was I saying that gun ownership should be mandatory.  I know that they stores don't make profit from the background fees.  I was saying that the store owner shouldn't have to pay for background checks to begin with. 
    I agree there should be no cost to the buyer or seller,it doesn't cost the state or government nothing to run the search.That would be the same as charging you for running your licence check.It is just another way for the state or government to rip us off.They are the ones that require it,so it should be there dime sorta speak.
  • I believe it's a bit overboard to ask for a background check every time someone wants to buy ammo. I wonder how much the background checks are. But you have to pay for background checks for even getting an apartment, so I could see that happening with guns. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but it depends how much it is too.
  • Actually, I didn't have to pay for a background check for either of the apartments in which I lived.   When you apply for a job, you don't have to pay for background checks.  I wouldn't be so upset if it was a one-off or even if it happened only twice.  Once for the gun; once for the ammo.  However, it's every time.  That's like paying for a background check on top of your rent check every month. 

That must be different from state to state also because in IL. you pay for buying a gun,but not ammo.
  • I don't know if it's in our state, either.  My fiancé just said California.  I have no idea what other states it affects. I was told that in PA, you don't need a background check to get a rifle, but you do for a handgun, which makes no sense to me at all.
  • The biggest point that I wanted to make is that there are background checks for jobs and credit checks for the apartments and a number of different reasons, and they all cost money. Trust me there are plenty of places that make you pay that fee. Maybe you've been lucky enough not to have to pay because they chose to pay it, but I have had to pay for all of these reasons. I don't think you should have a background check for the gun and the ammo though. That's a little ridiculous. 
    TommiGunn31
  • I agree.  If you got a black mark on your background check, then they would take away your gun.  I'm assuming you have to have a background check every time you are sold gun, especially if it's a place you haven't been sold a gun before.  There should be an alert given to everywhere that sold someone a gun.  For instance, if Gun Shop A did a background check and it came back clean for Person B, then there should be an alert set up for Gun Shop A.  That way if Person B did something bad with his gun, Gun Shop A wouldn't have to pay for another background check for Person B; they would just be electronically informed that Person B can't have a gun.  It shouldn't even say what he or she did (to protect privacy), they should just say he or she can't have a gun. 

• Gun owners have to pay for multiple things before the license. At least in my state, you have to take a course on gun safety and handling(not a bad idea) the biggest problem is that it's a couple hundred dollars. Already too expensive for some people. You have to pay for more than you'd think...
    "in PA, you don't need a background check to get a rifle, but you do for a handgun,"

In PA and every other State they do an instant check on NCIS, run by the FBI for every firearm sold, rifle or handgun, and some States have waiting periods for rifles too.
    The instant check system is in place for that reason, you are approved or denied in a short amount of time with a time limit of 3 business days, maintaining a data base on eligibility is not a possible option on the NCIC system.
    It is NICS My mistake, sorry....
  • I think there should not be fees either. This is a law the government pushes for, and they have to dip their hand in the pot. I feel if I am the one paying for the check, then it should be something I can do at home from my own computer. I pay for the services a submit it myself. Surly there would be a program they can come up with for that.
  • "THEY" won't, when I had an FFL, computers were not as common as now, no instant check etc.... as it is now, we are REALLY LUCKY, to have concealed carry in as many States as we do now, regardless, technology as far as backround checks has lagged somewhat, in spite of the fact that you can instantly verify identity with a passport, a drivers license, CCW or LE ID etc.. you can buy a rifle in another State, but not a handgun, handguns still have to go from one FFL to another FFL, so if you live in Vermont, and visit an LGS in Florida and see a gun you like, you can't take it with you right then and there, you buy it, have it sent to an FFL in Vermont, pick it up in Vermont, and pay extra to excercise a RIGHT !

So if you saw a cheaper gun in Florida, once you pay the extra S&H charges and transfer fees, you have likely saved NO MONEY, unless it is a special collectors gun that is quite scarce.....
  • I don't own a gun. I like them, I just don't see a use in my life for one. So, therefore, I have never bought a gun. I just found out that people are charged fees for the background checks. That's ridiculous. You are already being charged for the gun, which I understand because there is a cost to make them. But on top of that, you are being charged to be checked out by the person selling you the gun. I don't think that's right. It's in the Constitution that people are allowed to own guns. You should not be charged to exercise your Constitutional right. I don't think that they should charge for background checks for anything. My fiancé also told me that in California, you have to have a background check every time you buy ammo (in case something pops up on your background check after you have been cleared to purchase a gun). Okay, that makes sense. But to have to pay for a background check EVERY TIME you buy ammo, I can't get behind that.

*************************************************************************************
    I understand why someone would think, they have no use for a gun, or a gun in their life, my mother was anti-gun, even though her mother had a so called cowboy gun and used it to run off a panhandler when gramps was away buying supplies for the farm.
    Mom tried to pass on that philosophy to me, I had my own mind, at age 10, I read a book called "Gun control" still available now, I realized that guns were not bad.

I believe in the right to defend myself and others, and I hold my nose when I have to pay money in order to excercise a right, many people don't fully understand that they have that right, so bad laws get passed, and you have to pay money for rights.
    Everyone alive has a need for a fire extinguisher, even if you never have to put out a fire, it is great to have one, hence there is a need, you just may not realize that there is a need, until you actually need a fire extinguisher, and don't have one, and it takes too long for the Fire Department to arrive.
  • Which state do you live in? It sounds like a very liberal one. I'm assuming California since you were referring to it's laws. I've never heard of having to undergo a background check each time you buy ammo. I've heard of waiting periods and thorough background checks each time a new gun is purchased, though.I know that in states like Massachusetts, there are ridiculous fees, certifications, training sessions and waiting times that are clearly in place to keep people from buying firearms. It wouldn't surprise if California was such a state. In Nebraska, where I live, there is one simple qualification for buying a handgun. You need to pay only five dollars to your county of residence for a background check, and then you will be mailed out a handgun purchaser's certificate. After being granted one of these, anybody can buy a handgun of any caliber or magazine capacity. I guess fees and regulations vary pretty dramatically across the US.
    You need to pay for background checks for many things. The point is not that there shouldn't be background checks, but that the cost should be reasonable, not a huge economic burden to people. If the background check were free, would you then have any objections?

You need a background check to rent a home or get a job, so I don't see why you wouldn't need one to buy a gun.
  • It is not the background checks that one objects to, it is the notion that such checks accomplish as much as anti gun people insist, truth is, the people you need to really worry about, know they can't pass a good background check, so they steal guns, buy them through freinds and relatives, or other means.
    I would not mind background checks since the issue of gun control is one of life and death and if some modest facilitation fee requires to be chipped to cover the process, there is no problem. In some jurisdictions, acquiring a gun licence is a lengthy and costly process in order to evaluate the suitability and meritocracy of the applicant. All for the common good.