Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

Should gun safety be taught in Schools?

2»

Comments

• I am 100% for gun rights. I was raised around my different firearms as a child. I do believe though in this day and age having gun safety taught in our school may give a better understanding of gun safety and the correct way to handle them. Don't get me wrong I do strongly believe that if there are going to be guns in a home then it is the parents job to teach the children about it but that is not always the case so having gun safety taught in school may help cut down on the accidential shooting that go on.
  • Kids can learn firearms safety in a completely supervised range teaching environment, with all safety measures in place, there are very nice specially designed single shot .22 LR rifles specially designed for training purposes.

I can remember as a young child, I knew there was a big difference between a real gun and a toy cap pistol, and how one should never point a gun at people, or play with guns, guns were for target shooting, hunting, and in really extreme cases, self defense.
  • Yes absolutely. I think it should be taught from a young age, maybe middle school or so. I think everyone needs to know these things. Accidents can happen at anytime, so why not teach our children to be safe about it? i will be teaching mine within the next few years. They are 4 & 5 now. 
  • Yes, in an environment where so many persons whoh are pro gun possession inclined, I believe that it would be a wise idea to teach gun safety to children in schools. There is the possibility that they may encounter the presence of this type of weapon at some time and it would be good a good thing that they would be aware of the measures that would prevent any contact with the weapon from being a danger to them or others who would be around.
  • guyguy
    Gun safety should be taught outside of school, it is not a standard that we humans need to know in order to live life. Doing so would make me question what education is really for. If we were living a way of life where all children were going to be warehouse workers by default because of slavery, then the only thing we would need to teach them in school is how to do a particular task for the rest of their lives. 

There would be no need to teach them math, science if the aren't going to ever use it. That's the same with guns, if guns were a standard way of life for humans in today's era, then I see no reason for why we wouldn't teach our kids gun safety in school. That is not the way of life I want human kind to head towards. 

We teach kids what they need to know for the current way of life we live.
    Well I would like to consider myself one of personal freedoms and all of that, but you really do have to understand that this is a tough one to argue.  I get it, and you can justify it by saying everyone is safer and why avoid the issue and all of that, but you are still teaching it to impressionable kids so I just see where it can go very wrong.  It is an interesting topic, though, and thanks for sharing.
    I am of the opinion that gun safety should be taught in schools but not in a manner as to expose students to aspects of gun use that would excite their imagination beyond the basics since they are at an impressionable age. Lessons on gun safety should be restricted to correct storage, first aid, vigilance and basic self defence and safety procedures. The lessons should also contain aspects of counselling against depression and conflict resolution. Case studies on lethality of gun ownership should be taught to them so as to discourage them from future violence.
    I propose that gun safety should be taught in schools. It doesn't pay to hide behind the presumed ignorance and or innocence of children since they will learn the same from other sources. So why not do it in schools. This is likely to provoke debate as was the case of whether sex education should be taught in schools. We connot afford to bury our heads in the sand like the proverbial goose.
  • Gun control should totally be taught and discussed in our schools. Rather than removing our guns and making them scary we should teach firearm safety and the importance of the 2nd amendment. 
  • This is a great post. Its so hard to say what to do here, but if we know shootings are going to occur then we believe children should be prepared. We believe we should teach them on how to be safe if there is a shooting. We don't believe there should be a class on how to handle a firearm.