Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

New York Times Calls for an End to the Gun Epidemic in a Front Page Editorial

edited December 2015 in Gun Control Debates Posts: 11
The New York Times today published an editorial on the front page calling for a ban on certain types of rifles and calling for the end to the Gun Epidemic.  The editorial said, "It is a moral outrage and a national disgrace that civilians can legally purchase weapons designed specifically to kill people with brutal speed and efficiency."  It further stated, "Certain kinds of weapons, like the slightly modified combat rifles used in {San Bernardino} California, and certain kinds of ammunition, must be outlawed for civilian ownership."

Finally were getting some sensible editorials from main stream media about gun control!

Comments

• Actually, if they were sensible, they would realize that the ones using the guns are usually not the ones getting them legally.  Most people who kill or wound others with malicious intent (rather than self-defense) steal them or get them through the black market.  Also, murder is against the law.  They break that law.  So, they will most likely break any gun laws as well.  We need to fix people, not the laws. 
    Well said Tommigun,the more I hear and read about new gun laws and bans the less sense they make about wanting gun control.They keep missing the whole problem and keep jumping to the conclusion it is the guns fault.I don't know if they can't see it or don't want to see it, it does not matter what type of gun or how many shots you have or how many in circulation if you don't deal with the human factor and the lack of enforcing the laws we have nothing will help.
    TommiGunn31
  • That's very true.  I think to most people who want to get rid of them, it's about accessibility.  They think if you take away their weapons, they won't hurt people.  That's just not true. As I said before, they will just find illegal ways to get guns.  Also, look at inmates.  They manage to kill each other just fine with no guns.  It's about motivation, not weaponry. 

• Well the gun control agenda is everywhere and will keep happening until one of these days, it's announced that the government has surpassed the constitution and we no longer live by it. Guns are banned will be the new headline.
    If we give up the fight this may happen but for one I will never give this fight up and now with all the terrorism and Obama's doings it has become more important then ever to be able to protect ourselves.The security of this country is under attack in more ways then a lot seem to realize.I know what some will think just another paranoid gun nut,and deny if you will but take a good look around.
  • Not to offend anything you guys are saying, but I feel like jumping to the conclusion that if they take away guns, we're just going to get rid of the entire constitution is too far. There are changes made to the constitution all the time, and I don't see anyone up in arms about that. 
    There are many other ways to accomplish just about anything, the ease in which  we do them and the ability to cause more mayhem without being immediately identified is among the main reasons to use a gun. Should there come a day when these weapons are outlawed then we may actually have to come to terms with our actions from a longer point of view....enabling us to truly think things through and not just act out of anger and ignorance.
  • LC, I agree with you on a few notes. Yes, the ease at which we do them is a good point for gun control. And I do know that there are other countries where it is not legal, and even the police doesn't have them, and things work fine. However, I think there is a good point for them as protection, usually solely for defending yourself against an attack in your own home. It's a tough decision.
  • That is untrue, last time the constitution was changed was to enact and repeal prohibition and to indict Al Capone, and that change did way more harm than good, that is how we ended up with income tax.