Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

Officers not accepting the fact that they are required to acknowledge all laws

There have been countless footage of people exercising their rights by walking the streets and open carrying at the same time. The problem is that peace officers will come to the scene because someone called saying that the suspect was walking down the street with a gun on his or her hip. 

Legally this is not a crime, and just because someone says it's' suspicious doesn't make it a crime either because suspicion is not illegal. Peace officers know that people can open carry according to their state laws, but when they approach the person, they still try to disarm them for one reason and that is for their safety. 

They don't legally have the right to disarm anyone who is not breaking any laws, especially if they are not being detained "and that depends on what they are being detained for". You can't be disarmed while not breaking any laws, they might as well put everyone in handcuffs when they stop them because you can kill anyone with your hands...it's for the officers safety right, so it should be legal for them to do it as well since they always claim it's for their own safety. 

Why won't they follow protocol by not trying to get the person to unknowingly waive their rights just so they can feel a little safer?

Comments

This brings me to the discussion about the police shootings in the US which appear to be racially motivated. I don't know the criteria that some officers use to determine who is suspicious and who is not because appearance alone as well as racial profiling is a poor indicator. Some shootings occur even when the driver of a supposedly suspicious vehicle tries to remove a licence from his pocket and the law enforcer goes ballistic assuming that their charge is attempting to cock a gun!
  • guyguy
    It's really wrong, and I don't like it. It's America, what ever is going on in society becomes a trend, whether it's what rappers say about white people, or white cops shooting unarmed black men. I feel like deep in their minds they say to themselves that they want to be in a situation like that, but on the outside would never admit it because it's socially unacceptable. 

It's like they crave their moment of fame even if it's negative. I'm sure they imagine themselves being in that type of situation, and when they come to a stop it goes threw their mind, which ends up leading to them escalating the situation beyond what it needed to be.