Gun Control Forum on Facebook Gun Control Forum on Google Plus Gun Control Forum on Twitter

Greetings Gun Control Debater

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Popular Gun Control Forum Categories

In this Discussion

Are more rules on U.S gun ownership necessary?

edited October 21 in Gun Control Debates Posts: 9
Switzerland high rate of gun ownership and it doesn't have mass shootings.
Are more rules on U.S gun ownership necessary? 

From 2001 until now, Switzerland hasn't had mass shootings. The country has 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people. Why it has lower rate gun violence than the US. 
1- Switzerland is obsessed with getting shooting right, every year it holds a shooting contest for kids aged 13 to 17. (Educate young people to use right the gun)
2- Most Swiss men are required to learn how to use gun. All men between ages of 18-24 deemed "fit for service" are given a pistol or a rifle and trained (Educate young people to use the gun)
3- Gun seller follow strict licensing procedures. Swiss authorities decide on a local level whether to give people gun permits, keep a log of everyone who owns a gun in their region, hunting rifles and semiautomatic long arms are exempt from the permit requirement. Police don't take their duty dolling out gun licenses lightly. They might consult a psychiatrist or talk with authorities in other cantons where a prospective gun buyer has lived before to vet the person. 
4- People who have been convicted of a crime or have an alcohol or drug addiction aren't allowed to buy guns.
5- Gun owner who want to carry their weapon for the defensive purpose also have to pass a test to get a license. 

All the stricter gun control rules (stricter background check to help to figure out suspects do not appropriate to own a gun, require selling-records from all the gun-stores and ammunition control to help the police can predict the crimination before it happens) which state government like California is applying is gun control model of Switzerland. Why NRA is still opposing these policies?  

Reference:   

Comments

Bottom line is if a criminal wants to get a gun in this country they are going to get one. I assume you live in the U.S. It is against the law to sell a criminal a gun.  Criminals don't care about the laws so they are going to get them illegally.  They do not have this problem in Switzerland.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  You cannot paint an orange red and expect it to taste like an apple. The NRA is opposing policies that will not work in this country and only serve to take away our rights to protect ourselves and love ones. The laws they are opposing make it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns.  They do approve laws that keep guns out of criminals hands. They do not make it legal for criminals to have guns.  The NRA hates criminals more than we do. It is there job to protect us from people who want to take away our gun rights. I understand why people who do not own guns do not like the NRA.  The NRA is not protecting protecting their rights.  They are only protecting the rights of law abiding people that want to protect themselves with guns or use guns for recreation.  You can say the NRA is not protecting you from criminals but that is not there job.  That is the job of the police but the police can not be everywhere at once so it is up to ourselves to protect ourselves however we can.  Protecting oneself with a gun may not be the easiest way to do it but it is the way I feel the safest. I also enjoy hunting for meat and going to the shooting range and competing in matches. I am not saying you, but there are a lot of people that want to take that away from me because they think they are stopping gun violence or they just do not like guns.  Just like the police can not protect everyone the NRA can not protect all our gun rights so I feel I should do my part.
    I was in California last year and it is not legal for me to carry my gun there because I live in Nevada.  My wife and I went for a walk and saw drug paraphernalia and someone smoking crack on the sidewalk.  I did not feel safe and we saw a police officer and asked him if it was safe for us to be walking around.  He told us it was not and suggested I buy a knife like the one he showed me.  He also told me I could apply for a gun permit but it would have taken longer than the time I was going to be there.